The Rediscovery Centre education programmes have been developed to promote waste prevention, minimisation and reuse and to complement our current Rediscovery Centre projects. We provide workshops for Primary Schools, Secondary Schools and Third Level institutions as well as libraries, youth and community groups, language schools, and toddler groups. We can also provide activities as part of a summer camp or festival programme.
All Rediscovery Centre educators are highly experienced in the delivery of children’s education workshops, Garda vetted and trained in child protection.
Click on the links below for more information:
Primary Level Education Programme
We currently offer the following workshops to Primary Schools:
In-house workshops in Ballymun:
We have developed an Engineering Trail around Ballymun which is suitable for 8-12 year olds. This is a self-guided trail which lasts approximately 1.5 hours. Guided trails can be provided on request, please contact us for more information. Click here to download the Engineering Trail
Reviews from teachers on our Primary School Workshops:
- "The activities and content were pitched very well to the students’ level and they were engaged through the workshop. Very enjoyable” - North Dublin National School Project, Ballymun, Dublin 11#
- “This was so hands-on and all the pupils were completely engaged. It’s not often you find a workshop that keeps an entire class engaged for 1 ½ hours”- Mother of Divine Grace, Ballygall, Dublin 9
- “Super – highly recommend it!“ – Our Lady’s Grove, Goatstown, Dublin 14
- “Workshops should always be this hands-on and interactive for the children. My class loved their activities today” - Stepaside ETNS, Kilternan, Co Dublin
- “Pupils were engaged at all times, loads of hands-on activities” – Our Lady’s Hospital School, Crumlin, Dublin 12
Second Level Education Programme
The Rediscovery Centre also offers workshops for second level students which are linked to the second level curriculum through CSPE (Concept of Stewardship), Art, Science, Geography, Maths and English. This cross curricular approach provides students with an opportunity to be creative and develop analytical skills in a hands-on way.
The workshops currently available include:
Introduction to waste management (Suitable for 1st – 3rd years, TY)
- Introduction to sustainable design (Suitable for 1st – 3rd years, TY)
- Introduction to energy (Suitable for 1st – 2nd years)
- Introduction to landfill ((Suitable for 1st – 3rd years, TY)
- TY Sustainability tour
Click here to download more information on our Secondary School workshops.
Reviews from teachers on our Secondary School Workshops:
“All activities were ideal for the group. The kids really enjoyed the Rediscovery experience!” - Blanchardstown Youth Service
- “The workshops are excellent and would hugely benefit all of the young people we work with” – Foroige Tyrrelstown
- “I think the workshop was pitched at just the right level with a very good ratio of students to instructors. The hands-on approach was very good and effective” – Colaiste Chraobh Abhann, Kilcoole, Co Wicklow
- “It was excellent. The mix of hands-on activities made it really beneficial for pupils” – Colaiste Bhride, Carnew, Co Wicklow
Workshops for libraries and community groups
The Rediscovery Centre can deliver workshops in your library, either to local schools or as open sessions. As well as the workshops outlined in the sections, we also offer workshops that complement National science and environmental awareness weeks and events e.g. Science Week, Heritage Week, Bike Week, Biodiversity Week, European Week for Waste Reduction etc. We can also deliver themed arts and crafts workshops on a seasonal basis e.g. Easter, Halloween, Christmas. Click here to download more information on our Library workshops.
We can also facilitate workshops for youth groups, language schools, toddler groups and at summer camps and festivals. Please contact us to discuss.
Third Level Education Services
The Rediscovery Centre can deliver lectures on a wide range of issues including environmental sustainability, resource efficiency, sustainable design, sustainable fashion and social enterprise development. We can also facilitate field trips and placements for third level students.
Information on our community based learning and research programmes can be found on our Research page.
Programme Manager: Sarah Clear
T: (01) 842 9811
The Rediscovery Centre education room is located at Unit 2, The Turnpike, Santry Cross, Ballymun, Dublin 11, D11 PF30. Click here for Google map.
Parking is available directly outside the Ecostore/Education room and is accessible via Balcurris Road. From the City Centre, turn left at the crossroads at Ballymun Plaza / Shopping Centre and then take the first right onto Balcurris Road and continue approx 500m to the Ecostore. From the M50, exit at Junction 4 (Ballymun), head east towards Ballymun/City Centre, then turn right at the crossroads at Ballymun Plaza / Shopping Centre and then take the first right onto Balcurris Road and continue approx 500m to the Ecostore.
Dublin Bus runs a number of bus services to Ballymun. Route 4 from the City Centre stops directly outside the Education room at stop 126. on Ballymun Road . Route 13 from the City Centre stops a short walk from the Education room at stop 94 on Ballymun Road.
Below is a selection of downloadable resources and links to assist you with implementing scientific and environmental activities in the classroom. Should you book a workshop, additional activities and teacher’s notes will be supplied.
- Short animation about waste in Ireland and the Rediscovery Centre